- Office Address: 425 Street Name, UK, London
Who We Are
Established in 2002, ILEG works mainly in Kenya and the wider Eastern Africa region. But our work has significant continental and global reach and influence. We work with our partners in Kenya, Africa and internationally to shape sustainable development decisions for the benefit of present and future generations.
ILEG is an independent, non-profit public interest law and policy organization focused on promoting sustainable development. We work with local communities, governments, the private sector and civil society organizations (CSOs) to ensure fair, balanced and equitable development policy choices to improve peoples’ lives and protect the environment. Our work seeks to transform the way governments make decisions that affect the environment and natural resources on which livelihoods depend. We are dedicated to finding practical options that shift the ways governments make and implement laws and policies, the way businesses operate, and the way people actin relation to the environment.
We improve human well-being by seeking a shift in the way governments make and implement laws and policies, the way businesses operate, and the way people act in relation to the environment.
OUR OPERATION TOOLS
We use six main approaches to discharge our mandate:
– Capacity building
– Policy Outreach
– Public Interest Litigation
– Strategic Public Interest Litigation.
– Serve as a centre for the study, development and application of sound laws and policies aimed at promoting sustainable development and good governance.
– Undertake training and other activities aimed at strengthening capacities of individuals, communities, organizations, and governments to understand the nature of contemporary development challenges and policy strategies for the achievement of sustainable development.
– Provide professional services in the context of research, legal proceedings, or fora for peaceful settlement of disputes.
– Initiate, guide, encourage and support public policy reform processes based on sound social, ecological, economic and scientific principles.
– Provide affiliation to scholars and students through fellowship and internship programmes in the areas of law and policy relevant to one or more objectives of the Institute.